Thursday, May 10, 2012

Planned Parenthood

I just finished reading my colleagues post titled "Planned Parenthood," and I want to start off immediately by saying that I completely agree with her position. Since Texas is currently a Republican state, it is no surprise that "we" are against abortions and Planned Parenthood clinics. I'm not entirely sure as to why we are against Planned Parenthood clinics, because they do offer so much more in the field of protecting women's health than just abortions, but that is seemingly the way it is. 


My colleague gives great examples of how we need Planned Parenthood clinics for the reasons that they help women if they have contracted an sexually transmitted disease, they provide low or no cost cervical cancer exams to patients who cannot afford them, and another reason, which I personally don't believe was stressed enough, Planned Parenthood also provides low or no cost breast cancer screenings to patients. Breast cancer has been such a huge problem for women and one of the main things that Planned Parenthood does is protect women by giving them these screenings; they are completely vital.


I understand that some people (Republicans) want to put Planned Parenthood out of business because they associate them with abortions, but what I think that many people fail to realize is that Planned Parenthood does so much more for women that just give abortions. My colleague gives great examples of why abortions should not be banned and I tend to agree with her and the Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade that abortions should be legal; however, I tend to agree with President Clinton more in stating that "abortions should be safe, legal, and rare." 


My colleague does a great job in describing why women might need to get an abortion in their current place in life and I personally don't think that I, or anyone else has the right to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her own body. All in all, I can't state enough how strongly I agree with my colleagues article; it was written very well and I agree that the state of Texas should take the hands out of the matter and leave the Planned Parenthood clinics alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment